Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Days Following a Vacation...

As everyone knows, dieters like to take vacations from dieting. Well, I took a nice big "diet vacation" while skiing in Crested Butte. At least I was exercising most of the day.....

Things started off well last Thursday. Robert and I went early for a nice long run as my dad was in town to go skiing with us. We ran 6 miles and it felt wonderful. At that moment, I was completely committed to doing well while traveling. My resolve lasted about 3 hours. After that, the bordom of a long car ride set in and the Girl Scout cookies came out. At first it was just a couple and then I felt like such a horrible failure that I decided to eat even more. What's up with that? My dad was in the front seat say, "You gonna blog about that sleeve of cookies you ate?" I replied that I was going to write about it and that my writing would be cathartic. So there!

Skiing was amazing. I skied terrain that I had never been on before. The powder and bumps were a blast and I was pulled up to the top of the mountain on an old-fashion-style T lift for the first time. It truly was unbelievable. However, all good things must come to an end. While high up, I jacked my knee on a mogul. My knee swelled up like a grapefruit and I was unable to bend itl. BTW, it is very difficult to get on and off the lifts if you are unable to bend your knee. I toughed it out and skied some easy runs with my dad on Sunday. I was frustrated and angry and I expressed that by consuming large quantities of crappy food. Uuuggghhh! I haven't hopped on the scale yet, but will view the damage tomorrow morning.

Good news....went to the dr. today and he is not too worried about my knee. The swelling has gone down and my range of motion is returning. I am going to try to run and do a good core workout tomorrow. Hopefully, this will put me back on track for success. Dr. says if I continue to have problems that an ACL revision may be necessary. I am going to try to avoid that at all costs. Revisions are never as good as the first operation.

Tomorrow is a new day filled with wonderful things. I am going to embrace my failures, learn from them and begin again. Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment