Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Excitement Abounds!

I am very excited to begin things tomorrow. I watched a great movie today entitled Food, Inc. about the "manufacturing" and engineering of food these days. It is a very scary concept that one single company dominates the US soybean seed market (with genetically modified seeds that are patented so farmers can't "clean" their seed to re-use it each year) and that the 1,300 slaughterhouses of years' past have dwendled down to 11 which are now owned by three companies. Did you know that the ground beef your children consume is washed with ammonia several times to make the bacteria (mainly E.coli) count low enough to pass FDA inspections? I don't kow about you, but I really don't want my family consuming beef from these large companies. I want to KNOW where my families' food is coming from. I know Americans across the country are beginning to think about this concept. Yes, right now it may be cheaper to buy a burger at a fast food joint than it is to buy a bunch of carrots; however, it won't always be that way. Soon the government will get it's head out of its you-know-what and stop subsidizing the price of corn. Then, corn prices will escalate to a normal level and high fructose corn syrup will no longer be a cheap alternative sweetner.

Ok, I'm almost off my soap box...I want my children to make wise choices now about the foods they eat as I am not always going to be there to say, "Hey, don't you think that 6 slices of bacon is enough?" But, I will instill in them knowledge and a willingness to learn which will carry them through the years. BTW, we get our bacon from a local butcher who kills and processes his own meat. :)

Bring it Monday, February 1st!

1 comment:

  1. Remember ALL the bacon we consumed at CB at the breakfast buffet last year!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete